Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The business of bashing one another

Bashing one another is a common practice in the political arena. But I am beginning observe more such practices of bashing. In the software world, the windows and Linux bashing is as normal as the sunrise every day. But did you also know that bashing at an intense level goes on in other areas as well. For instance, I see that PHP Vs. Ruby bashing has its own strong support groups. And among the IDEs Eclipse vs. Netbeans debate bashing seems to be very strong. I guess objectivity is long lost, literally. A person who is new and wants to know the basic plus and minus of competing technologies/programming languages/programming tools, would be at a total loss to come to any conclusion.

I am not against the act of expressing one's opinions, in the form of a debate or whatever. But what I am seeing is that people end up expressing more of their emotions and forget what they intended to say in the first place.

Personally, I find all this "my IDE is better than yours" argument totally juvenile.

 And I have not tried to head over to look at discussions on other things. I wonder how people fare at that. 

5 comments:

  1. Bashing is the clear strategy of pseudo-capitalism. It's survival of the meanest..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way back in my Java development days (OMG! I just made Java a legacy technology!!), I would get people to move to NetBeans. Some people would go, "No, Eclipse is better." I'd then run the two on the same hardware and show them how much of a memory hog Eclipse was and they'd make the switch. Then, came our JBuilder licenses and hardware upgrades, which created a 3-way argument. It never really ended but we just decided to live with the fact that we will always be divided by race, religion, and IDE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally i've always liked intellij till about ver 6. the later versions just got too bloated and heavy. now i've switched to eclipse which i hate, but there are few options. tried netbeans and sunstudio, but had issues getting them to work correctly with my codebase. Now am working on grails, eclipse seems to serve my purpose well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Hope you are fine and doing well. In the FOSS world debate is not new like Php Vs perl, Eclipse Vs Kdevelop, Ubuntu Vs Fedora,.etc. Bcoz in freedome world, everyone having its own favourates. It doesnt matter, wat it is. But they come for unity, when it is against proprietary and M$. Nice blog you have. However I just introduce myself here, I am Prakash, a FOSS/Linux enthusiast and an entrepreneur. Wish you all the best!.

    ReplyDelete